HISTORICAL MILESTONES

18 October 2023

St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital celebrated 110 years of serving the community.

July and September 2023

St. Andrew’s Senior Care (SASC) (Bedok South) and SASC (Bedok North) started operating in July and September respectively.

13 June 2023

Old and new friends of St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital (SAMH) gathered at 5 Kadayanallur Street, the former 5 Erskine Road, to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of SAMH’s First Hospital Building as well as the 110th anniversary of SAMH.

14 September 2022

St. John’s – St. Margaret’s Nursing Home and St. Andrew’s Senior Care (Dover) were officially opened.

February 2022

St. Andrew’s Migrant Worker Medical Centre was officially opened. It provides primary care, dental treatment, physiotherapy and mental well-being counselling for migrant workers.

January 2022

St. Andrew’s Mission School, St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital’s second special education school, started offering children on the autism spectrum access to the national curriculum.

April 2019

St. Andrew’s Adult Home (Sengkang), Singapore’s first purpose-built long-term residential facility for adults on the autism spectrum, with a co-located Day Activity Centre started receiving residents. Respite care services are also available at the home.

25 May 2018

St. Andrew’s Senior Care (Tampines Central), part of Our Silver Hub, was officially opened. Housed within Our Tampines Hub, Our Silver Hub is a partnership with four other healthcare institutions to provide accessible and coordinated community healthcare and senior care services to the resident in Tampines.

25 May 2018

St. Andrew’s Nursing Home (Queenstown), with a co-located senior care centre, St. Andrew’s Senior Care (Queenstown), was officially opened.

27 Feb 2018

St. Andrew’s Nursing Home (Henderson) was officially opened. This was St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital’s first nursing home with a co-located senior care centre, St. Andrew’s Senior Care (Henderson).

23 Jul 2015

The Integrated Building, a collaboration between St. Andrew’s Community Hospital and Changi General Hospital, was Singapore’s first integrated facility focused on providing acute, subacute and rehabilitative care in wards that are acuity-adaptable and which have a common and innovative ward design aimed at better supporting the elderly patients.

Nov 2013

St. Andrew’s Nursing Home (Buangkok) commenced operations. It provides psychiatric long-term care. It is helmed by St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital, and is supported by Singapore Anglican Community Services.

2013

St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital celebrated 100 years of service to the nation.

Nov 2011

St. Andrew’s Community Hospital joined the Eastern Health Alliance as a founding member together with Changi General Hospital, SingHealth Polyclinics and The Salvation Army PeaceHaven Nursing Home.

2010

St. Andrew’s Community Hospital launched a series of community initiatives including:

  • A mobile medical service providing free primary care to communities-in-need.
  • Community therapy services for residents with rehabilitative needs in Tanjong Rhu and Mountbatten.
  • Therapy sessions for residents with rehabilitative needs in Kampong Glam.
  • Occupational therapy for clients of Simei Care Centre as part of their mental rehabilitation therapy.

2010

St. Andrew’s Autism Centre at Elliot Road was officially opened by President SR Nathan.

18 Apr 2005

St. Andrew’s Community Hospital moved to a purpose-built facility in Simei. It was the first community hospital to be connected via a link bridge to an acute-care general hospital – Changi General Hospital.

1998

St. Andrew’s Lifestreams was launched, providing training, education and counselling services.

31 Oct 1992

St. Andrew’s Community Hospital officially opened (at the same site of the St. Andrew’s Orthopaedic Hospital). It was the first community hospital in Singapore and provided subsidised intermediate care for the elderly.

1982 – 1987

With the advent of public healthcare, the need for charity hospitals for children declined. Both St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital for Children and St. Andrew’s Orthopaedic Hospital eventually ceased operations. St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital Clinic continued with its outpatient services.

1952 – 1972

St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital opened two community outpatient clinics and grew to include new wards and specialist clinics.

1946

Work resumed at both hospitals after World War II. St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital relocated to Tanjong Pagar and re-launched its services as a children’s hospital – St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital for Children. St. Andrew’s Orthopaedic Hospital resumed its services in Siglap.

Dec 1941

During WWII, St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital provided outpatient services during the Japanese occupation while St. Andrew’s Orthopaedic Hospital was used as a radar station.

28 Feb 1939

St. Andrew’s Orthopaedic Hospital was opened in Siglap. It was the first hospital of its kind to treat children with tuberculosis of the bones and joints. It had two wards with 30 beds each.

22 May 1923

The St. Andrew’s Mission Hospital for Women and Children was opened at Erskine Road. The hospital had 60 inpatient beds and an outpatient clinic.

18 October 1913

A small dispensary was opened at 220 Bencoolen Street by Dr Charlotte Ferguson-Davie, wife of The Right Reverend Charles Ferguson-Davie, the first Bishop of Singapore. More dispensaries were opened and demand for inpatient care was high.